"We need to stop conflating using AI as tools and using AI to generate content. These are two vastly different implementations of AI, and we need to start thinking about it with more nuance."
how does the environmental impact compare between these two vastly different implementations?
are resistive touch screens just not a thing anymore?
I don't really understand why, as both kinds of touch screens seem to have their advantages. certainly I'd prefer resistive for a DS emulation device, I think.
Device looks good, I'm loving the same size 4:3 screens, top and bottom 👍
I'm a long time fan since the first game (one of the NES games I actually had before SNES came out) and from my perspective, the controls, gameplay, graphics, and audio do not live up to the series, or the 40 dollar price tag.
I really wish I'd waited for a sale but at the time I still wanted to pay full price for companies like Taito. If the eShop allowed returns I'd have returned it, 100%.
I don't want to speak for him, but I "know" him well enough to know he realizes the differences between the devices. 😅✌️
anyway this thing is cool, no? I want one too but I have like four gameboy carts and they arent getting any cheaper 😂
I mentioned it to another user here, but if you have an android phone I strongly recommend ZXTUNE for listening to legacy game music. it's FOSS and "comes with" all the music you'd likely ever need.
"the final assets are fully human-authored, with algorithms used only for intermediate visualisation."
Why does everyone think this is a valid explanation?
this is like saying "yes this product was manufactured using forced child labor, but we cleaned all the blood off and you wont see any children or parts of children in the final product."
to use another accurate but perhaps less hyperbolic analogy: "yes, the story was written by AI, but our writers wrote out every word on their own paper, by hand."
I bought heavy gear 2 based on hype but my family's computer wasnt as up to the task as id hoped so to this day I still never really played it, and NEVER hear anyone talk about it for how much praise and hype it got at the time.
Castlevania
Castlevania 3
Super 4
Bloodlines
Symphony of the Night
All wonderful and perfectly playable games but if you go backwards they will feel stiff and awkward. They are an excellent progression from game to game and if you play in order you'll appreciate the evolution. ✌️
EDIT - play 4 and bloodlines in whatever order imo just don't skip them! GREAT 16 bit games.
One wonders how misinformation gets spread around, with multiple blogs copy pasting each others' conclusions based on unfounded claims made by random discord users. 🤔
BTW I mustve rented Megaman X a dozen times before I finally asked and received it for my birthday. Passwords were so underrated for the rental era!
This was the game* that really taught me to "get good" in order to beat it... and I did! ☺️✌️ I do wish I still had my cart but you can't save em all! I probably traded it for some PSX game in 1997 that I also no longer have. 😅
*well and SMB, but that game was so formative for me that I didn't even really think about it.
totally agree 👍 I have my personal collection which is not impressive for the internet but it's insane or ridiculous to regular people. I like having the physical games, the authentic hardware, yada yada.
But also emulation is SOO GOOD now, and so very practical! I'm lucky to have both and I have no need for this thingy lol.
MY GOD the nomad is so cool. 🤩 I need to power mine on and make sure it still works.
with retroid discontinuing the pocket classic, I'm hoping that something like a pocket Nomad replaces it (horizontal pocket sized handheld with 1:1 screen and six face buttons 🤤)
I rented Zool as a kid a few times and liked it just fine ☺️✌️
I'm very happy overall with the 8bitdo, and it is "close enough" with the face buttons basically, but I still wonder why they didnt just copy 1:1 when they are so close!
I do notice it with games where c left and c down basically form a "cluster" with A and B that my thumb sits in the middle of. theres just a bit too much space between.
It does seem like people including those designing these new controllers think of the A+B as being "somewhere down and to the left" of the c buttons, which doesn't really describe it when you are looking at the real thing.
anyway! having remapped the right trigger to "R" I'm very pleased with the 8bitdo64 controller! 👍 so comfortable to use, looks great, and psychologically pleasing to use a controller that lacks a right stick, for the games that dont need one.
I wish theyd make a dreamcast controller with this same design, no shoulder buttons, analog triggers, and six face buttons! 🤞
I'm more just curious why these companies make the decisions they do!
I will say that when I'm playing Smash, the extra distance between the A button and C down (what I use for jump) is extremely... "appreciated" on my 8bitdo controller vs the OG 😂 but it feels great for Ocarina which we are currently working through ☺️✌️
I'm probably being a bit picky but this is the third controller of this kind in the last few years to "do the n64 layout" but not actually put the buttons in quite the right places.
OG brawler 64 was the worst offender ive seen so I'll use that as an example:
I guess its a matter of preference, then, but who wants to play goldeneye or ocarina with a squishy Z button? Or, Fzero X with an analogue Z trigger on the left and a digital R shoulder button on the right? 😕 It shows a lack of faith in the purpose of the product, in my opinion, and again like they aren't expecting people to play actual N64 games with this thing.
The face button layout is just slightly wrong every time. Specifically, the A+B buttons and their relationship to each other and the C buttons. Even the 8bitdo controller isn't quite right and I'm wondering why. It's a minor detail but it keeps happening! 😅✌️ probably just a "me thing" since no one else seems to be able to even tell.
How would you propose doing this? I've thought about this a lot, and Ironically I usually just end up with what Nintendo did the first time, with the handles 😂 underrated controller!
Yet another N64 controller iteration that does not get the face button layout right. Why is this so hard? Why does no one ever mention it in the reviews? Isn't this a basic thing? It is literally the first thing I see.
The second thing I check for is if they mirror "Z" on the right, as though they put ZERO thought into actually playing N64 games with this controller. Of course they did, here.
After reviewing the 8bitdo 64 controller and covering it many times on this site, I really expected at least some direct comparison between the two, especially given the price difference.
PS what the hell are analogue triggers doing on this controller? 🙄
I've been dreaming of/talking about/drawing up this exact device for many years, I'm amazed it's actually here and even more amazed it took this long! I hope its good!
I don't like this "sarcasm forward" style for this site, to be honest. It's a weird match, and beyond that the subject matter is so specific, yet it feels like the writer just assumes for some reason that everyone is as into the "scene" as they are.
I had to spend too much time decoding the sarcasm and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze by the end, frankly. Just my 2c. ✌️
For me, the word "PRO" is a turnoff at best, borderline embarrassing, and at worst an indicator of marketing covering for poor quality. I actively seek products that do not use such language in their marketing.
In the trades, the word pro is usually a giveaway that actual "professionals" would not use or do not use this product. In gaming, it's a meaningless term at least partially intended to stroke the ego of a certain kind of insecure buyer.
This thing is much less appealing to me than the OG brick for having 2 analog sticks and the word PRO added to it. My 2c.
(Personally I'm just not sure vertical handhelds were ever meant for analog sticks and shoulder buttons ✌️)
Comments 1,824
Re: SuperStation One's $20 Memory Card Goes on Sale Today, and Yes, It Plays DOOM
I would love to see this evolved into full on pocketstation emulation but this is amazing!
Re: This Super Mario Kart ROM Hack Removes the Game's Annoying Single-Player Shortcoming
a fix to a problem I got over in 5 seconds when i was like 6 years old.
the game worked perfectly before and the mod looks completely wrong.
as the above user said, the bottom half of the screen displayed useful info in real time.
Re: "If I Didn't Have These Powerful Tools, I Wouldn't Do It at All" - The Oliver Twins Explain Why They're Dizzy About GenAI
"If I Didn't Have These Powerful Tools, I Wouldn't Do It at All"
Don't threaten us with a good time!
Re: "If I Didn't Have These Powerful Tools, I Wouldn't Do It at All" - The Oliver Twins Explain Why They're Dizzy About GenAI
@Sketcz
"We need to stop conflating using AI as tools and using AI to generate content. These are two vastly different implementations of AI, and we need to start thinking about it with more nuance."
how does the environmental impact compare between these two vastly different implementations?
Re: Review: Anbernic RG DS Plus - My New Favourite Way To Play Nintendo DS Games
@Damo
that comports with experience as I havent even seen a resistive touchscreen in a long while, come to think of it 👍
I agree that it's probably an overall upgrade, besides the chunky stylus ✌️
Re: Review: Anbernic RG DS Plus - My New Favourite Way To Play Nintendo DS Games
@Kotonete
Piracy is when you copy the game files, not when you play them.
This is an emulation device. 👍
Re: Review: Anbernic RG DS Plus - My New Favourite Way To Play Nintendo DS Games
are resistive touch screens just not a thing anymore?
I don't really understand why, as both kinds of touch screens seem to have their advantages. certainly I'd prefer resistive for a DS emulation device, I think.
Device looks good, I'm loving the same size 4:3 screens, top and bottom 👍
Great review! thanks Damo.
Re: Bubble Bobble 4 Friends: The Baron Is Back! Is Getting A Physical Edition On Nintendo Switch 2
@Krambo42
I like your attitude. 👍 I really really tried to enjoy it, for my 40 bucks. oh well!
Re: Bubble Bobble 4 Friends: The Baron Is Back! Is Getting A Physical Edition On Nintendo Switch 2
anybody play this and liked it?
I'm a long time fan since the first game (one of the NES games I actually had before SNES came out) and from my perspective, the controls, gameplay, graphics, and audio do not live up to the series, or the 40 dollar price tag.
I really wish I'd waited for a sale but at the time I still wanted to pay full price for companies like Taito. If the eShop allowed returns I'd have returned it, 100%.
4/10.
Re: Retro Song Bird Is A New Device That Unlocks The Music Of Your Game Boy Cartridges
@Echtzeit
I don't want to speak for him, but I "know" him well enough to know he realizes the differences between the devices. 😅✌️
anyway this thing is cool, no? I want one too but I have like four gameboy carts and they arent getting any cheaper 😂
I mentioned it to another user here, but if you have an android phone I strongly recommend ZXTUNE for listening to legacy game music. it's FOSS and "comes with" all the music you'd likely ever need.
Re: A New Sonic 35th Anniversary Exhibition Kicks Off Next Month, Featuring Never-Before-Seen Dev Documents
Artists: please learn how highlights work or don't use them at all.
Re: Retro Song Bird Is A New Device That Unlocks The Music Of Your Game Boy Cartridges
@Echtzeit
I suspect Mr. McBucket was being a bit tongue in cheek there 😅
Re: Retro Song Bird Is A New Device That Unlocks The Music Of Your Game Boy Cartridges
@bjm
if you have an android phone, check out ZXTUNE at your nearest convenience ✌️👍❤️
PS don't sleep on Smurf's Nightmare! 😀
https://youtu.be/z6QZQJv9wpc?is=8w6rxObIho2kF5Zr
(this one reminds me of my 25 yr old faded memory Robbie Williams' "Millennium." I refuse to revisit that song and find out im wrong 😂)
https://youtu.be/UnzHTkRLcE4?is=RmHrDJ5Tbh38OZa_
Re: Retro Song Bird Is A New Device That Unlocks The Music Of Your Game Boy Cartridges
oh, to have enough Gameboy carts to justify having this thingy. 🥲 Very cool!
Re: System 3 Explains Why Evercade Is Getting The Last Ninja Before PlayStation And Xbox - And Why The Antstream Deal Has Gone Sour
good lord, that's bad artwork.
(not even) pro tip: if you dont know where highlights are supposed to go, just don't use them. 👍
EDIT - even the bubbles have them in random places 😂
Re: James Pond Legacy GenAI Controversy "Has Damaged Confidence In System 3" Admits Studio Boss
"the final assets are fully human-authored, with algorithms used only for intermediate visualisation."
Why does everyone think this is a valid explanation?
this is like saying "yes this product was manufactured using forced child labor, but we cleaned all the blood off and you wont see any children or parts of children in the final product."
to use another accurate but perhaps less hyperbolic analogy: "yes, the story was written by AI, but our writers wrote out every word on their own paper, by hand."
Re: Where's My Robot Jox Video Game, Dammit?
@notreallyhere
do you remember the heavy gear games?
I bought heavy gear 2 based on hype but my family's computer wasnt as up to the task as id hoped so to this day I still never really played it, and NEVER hear anyone talk about it for how much praise and hype it got at the time.
✌️
Re: Where's My Robot Jox Video Game, Dammit?
I love just about everything Stuart Gordon made! "Dagon" is a personal favorite that never gets mentioned.
Re: The Best Castlevania Games, Ranked By You
@Deway
my order:
Castlevania
Castlevania 3
Super 4
Bloodlines
Symphony of the Night
All wonderful and perfectly playable games but if you go backwards they will feel stiff and awkward. They are an excellent progression from game to game and if you play in order you'll appreciate the evolution. ✌️
EDIT - play 4 and bloodlines in whatever order imo just don't skip them! GREAT 16 bit games.
Re: The Best Castlevania Games, Ranked By You
"At least she was until Koji Igarashi became the producer of the series and the game's story became non-canon."
I believe, at most, a new producer can SUGGEST new canon and changes, but ultimately it's "once canon, always canon" if the beholder so chooses.
Re: Turns Out The Chipset Inside The Retroid Duo Can Handle Two Screens Natively
One wonders how misinformation gets spread around, with multiple blogs copy pasting each others' conclusions based on unfounded claims made by random discord users. 🤔
Re: "I Can Make What's Inside Your Head Live Forever" - New Trailer For Nicolas Cage's Madden Biopic Shows The Genesis Of EA's Million-Selling Series
RESIDENT EVIL WHO
Re: Hands On: Kraken Spinner For Octopus Arcade Stick - Arkanoid Fans, Rejoice
@RiskyClient
https://fightboxarcade.com/products/fightbox-r10-pro-arcade-fight-stick-with-trackball-spinner-retro-game-controller-for-pc-ps3-switch
this looks at a glance to be a much better option, imo.
or theres that new Hori device
Re: Hands On: Kraken Spinner For Octopus Arcade Stick - Arkanoid Fans, Rejoice
that bead blasted anodized alloy is not a grippy enough surface for my fingertips.
Re: Four More Neo Geo AES+ Games Have Been Confirmed
Hail Saudi Arabia!
I thought they were unrepentant human rights abusers, but now I see they just want to help me to play my favorite childhood arcade games at home.
Re: Lara Croft Is Coming Home: Campaign Raises £30K To Install Tomb Raider Statue In Derby
Looks a bit like Eric Stoltz was my first thought.
Re: Bloodstained: The Scarlet Engagement TGS Trailer Spotlights New Mechanics, Dragonback Battles, And More
"We all need!
To shine on! To see!
How far,
We've come on our journey!"
....sorry wrong game ☺️
(this looks far more appealing to me than the "real" Castlevania game coming up)
Re: Hyperkin's SupaBoy Portable SNES Now Available To Pre-Order In New Colour Designs
@Razieluigi
BTW I mustve rented Megaman X a dozen times before I finally asked and received it for my birthday. Passwords were so underrated for the rental era!
This was the game* that really taught me to "get good" in order to beat it... and I did! ☺️✌️ I do wish I still had my cart but you can't save em all! I probably traded it for some PSX game in 1997 that I also no longer have. 😅
*well and SMB, but that game was so formative for me that I didn't even really think about it.
Re: Hyperkin's SupaBoy Portable SNES Now Available To Pre-Order In New Colour Designs
@Razieluigi
totally agree 👍 I have my personal collection which is not impressive for the internet but it's insane or ridiculous to regular people. I like having the physical games, the authentic hardware, yada yada.
But also emulation is SOO GOOD now, and so very practical! I'm lucky to have both and I have no need for this thingy lol.
Re: Hyperkin's SupaBoy Portable SNES Now Available To Pre-Order In New Colour Designs
@Razieluigi
A portable device that is also a fully functional SNES, makes a kind of sense to me ✌️
But yeah I'm getting a RP Nova 😂👍
Re: Gallery: Unboxing The £130 Zool Ultimate Archive Edition
MY GOD the nomad is so cool. 🤩 I need to power mine on and make sure it still works.
with retroid discontinuing the pocket classic, I'm hoping that something like a pocket Nomad replaces it (horizontal pocket sized handheld with 1:1 screen and six face buttons 🤤)
I rented Zool as a kid a few times and liked it just fine ☺️✌️
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
@Glassneedles
"No such thing as too picky when it comes to me."
I see I'm in good company 🤗
I'm very happy overall with the 8bitdo, and it is "close enough" with the face buttons basically, but I still wonder why they didnt just copy 1:1 when they are so close!
I do notice it with games where c left and c down basically form a "cluster" with A and B that my thumb sits in the middle of. theres just a bit too much space between.
It does seem like people including those designing these new controllers think of the A+B as being "somewhere down and to the left" of the c buttons, which doesn't really describe it when you are looking at the real thing.
anyway! having remapped the right trigger to "R" I'm very pleased with the 8bitdo64 controller! 👍 so comfortable to use, looks great, and psychologically pleasing to use a controller that lacks a right stick, for the games that dont need one.
I wish theyd make a dreamcast controller with this same design, no shoulder buttons, analog triggers, and six face buttons! 🤞
Re: Hyperkin's SupaBoy Portable SNES Now Available To Pre-Order In New Colour Designs
@Razieluigi
"I just don't understand the allure of products like this when the handheld space is overflowing with excellent options that can do so much more."
I'm not exactly rushing to get one either, but how many other handhelds out there can play SNES carts? Or use OG snes pads?
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
@Damo
I'm sure it is fine, as you say.
I'm more just curious why these companies make the decisions they do!
I will say that when I'm playing Smash, the extra distance between the A button and C down (what I use for jump) is extremely... "appreciated" on my 8bitdo controller vs the OG 😂 but it feels great for Ocarina which we are currently working through ☺️✌️
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
@Glassneedles
I'm probably being a bit picky but this is the third controller of this kind in the last few years to "do the n64 layout" but not actually put the buttons in quite the right places.
OG brawler 64 was the worst offender ive seen so I'll use that as an example:
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
@Damo
I guess its a matter of preference, then, but who wants to play goldeneye or ocarina with a squishy Z button? Or, Fzero X with an analogue Z trigger on the left and a digital R shoulder button on the right? 😕 It shows a lack of faith in the purpose of the product, in my opinion, and again like they aren't expecting people to play actual N64 games with this thing.
The face button layout is just slightly wrong every time. Specifically, the A+B buttons and their relationship to each other and the C buttons. Even the 8bitdo controller isn't quite right and I'm wondering why. It's a minor detail but it keeps happening! 😅✌️ probably just a "me thing" since no one else seems to be able to even tell.
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
@Zeldork
How would you propose doing this? I've thought about this a lot, and Ironically I usually just end up with what Nintendo did the first time, with the handles 😂 underrated controller!
Re: Hands On: Retro Fighters Brawler64 Pro - A Solid Controller For N64, And More
Yet another N64 controller iteration that does not get the face button layout right. Why is this so hard? Why does no one ever mention it in the reviews? Isn't this a basic thing? It is literally the first thing I see.
The second thing I check for is if they mirror "Z" on the right, as though they put ZERO thought into actually playing N64 games with this controller. Of course they did, here.
After reviewing the 8bitdo 64 controller and covering it many times on this site, I really expected at least some direct comparison between the two, especially given the price difference.
PS what the hell are analogue triggers doing on this controller? 🙄
Re: M2 Suggests GG Aleste 3 Mega Drive Fan Port Could Make An Official Release "Impossible"
Re: The Final Design Of The Multisystem 2 Pocket Is Revealed, And It's Good News For Fighting Game Fans
@tektite_captain
looks 1:1 to me. 🤔
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
@Broosh
Your comment made me smile 🤗 Frog and Toad is a happy place for me!
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
@Martin_H
If those arent neuroscience bonafides, then I don't know what are.
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
@GlamReaper
LOL okay I get it now 😂 gif deployment of the year right here, well played!
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
headline: "Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain"
body: "Dr. Kuhn concluded that gaming did increase brain plasticity,"
those are two different conclusions. 👍
Re: Scientific Research Concludes Playing Super Mario 64 Literally Expands Your Brain
@GlamReaper
"From my own personal knowledge of neuroscience, not from reading about it online, I can tell you..."
I found this part interesting. what specifically are your neuroscience bonafides, if you don't mind the question? ✌️
Re: The Final Design Of The Multisystem 2 Pocket Is Revealed, And It's Good News For Fighting Game Fans
Looks kinda like a Lynx/Nomad hybrid.
Begs for a Saturn style dpad.
Tiny square screen was an odd choice (looks about like the one in my RGCUBEXX but in a 3x sized case.)
All in all I like different and this is 👍
Re: Official Nintendo HORI Arcade Classic Pro Features Swappable Sticks, Paddle, And Even A Trackball
I've been dreaming of/talking about/drawing up this exact device for many years, I'm amazed it's actually here and even more amazed it took this long! I hope its good!
Re: Official Nintendo HORI Arcade Classic Pro Features Swappable Sticks, Paddle, And Even A Trackball
good lord can we just not have footage of people using things anymore?
Re: Sacrilege! Nishitani Expresses Interest In Rebalancing Super Street Fighter II Turbo
I don't like this "sarcasm forward" style for this site, to be honest. It's a weird match, and beyond that the subject matter is so specific, yet it feels like the writer just assumes for some reason that everyone is as into the "scene" as they are.
I had to spend too much time decoding the sarcasm and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze by the end, frankly. Just my 2c. ✌️
Re: Review: TrimUI Brick Pro - Same Power In A Larger Frame (And Dual Analogue, Too)
For me, the word "PRO" is a turnoff at best, borderline embarrassing, and at worst an indicator of marketing covering for poor quality. I actively seek products that do not use such language in their marketing.
In the trades, the word pro is usually a giveaway that actual "professionals" would not use or do not use this product. In gaming, it's a meaningless term at least partially intended to stroke the ego of a certain kind of insecure buyer.
This thing is much less appealing to me than the OG brick for having 2 analog sticks and the word PRO added to it. My 2c.
(Personally I'm just not sure vertical handhelds were ever meant for analog sticks and shoulder buttons ✌️)